Hi everyone!! This week we’ll be making another one of my favorite dishes… chicken! One of my favorite ways to make chicken is to fry it, but that can be messy and my mom says that it really isn’t the healthiest way to eat it anyway. So I’ve found a recipe that tastes just as good as fried chicken but instead, we’ll be baking it! Here’s what we’ll need to get started:
- 3 cups cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken parts (breasts, wings, drumsticks, thighs)
First, have an adult help you turn the oven on and set it to 375*.
To make the coating for the chicken, pour the cornflakes into a sealable gallon-size plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cereal. Or, you can just use your hands to crush it too! Open the bag and add the flour, paprika, onion powder and sage. Shake in a little salt and pepper to your taste. Reseal it and shake until it’s mixed together well.
Pour the milk into a shallow bowl. Have an adult help you rinse the chicken pieces. Dip one piece in the milk then drop it in the bag of cornflake mix. Shake it until the chicken is coated with the cereal. Place the chicken skin side up in an un-greased baking pan. Repeat until all the pieces are coated. Discard any leftover coating and make sure to wash your hands after handeling any kind of raw meat. Before it’s cooked, meat can have all sorts of germs and bacteria on them.
Bake for 50 minutes or until your mom or dad says it’s done. While it’s cooking you can make side dishes like beans, biscuits or carrots. Try this recipe I wrote in May for some really yummy carrots! Enjoy!!
- Q- What makes this chicken a healthier alternative than fried chicken?
- A- Fried chicken is usually cooked in fatty oils which give it a crispy skin, but eating too much fat is not good for our bodies.
- Q- Can a chicken fly?
- A- Yes! A chicken actually can fly, but only for short distances and not very high. http://answers.askkids.com/Weird_Science/can_a_chicken_fly
You can make almost any kind of chicken! There are different ways to cook it like grilling, and the ingredients you can use are endless. Check out this website and try a new recipe that you may not have tried before. Happy Cooking!